Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Carol's Adventures - Travel Blog - Passport America Member Spotlight




"My name is Carol Landau. In 2005 I turned a 30 year old dream into a reality. Since I was in my early 20's I wanted to get a camper van and travel around the country by myself. As I got older I often dreamed about traveling in a camper van. I never gave up the thought that I wanted to do it. Over the years I have had Cancer three times and still I told myself that one day I am going to get my camper van. As I got older and life happened, I would think about the camper van. Should I wait until I retire and buy it then, or should I buy it sooner and take shorter trips and use it now.
In 2005 I flew out west, rented a car and drove through several National Parks. I saw people camping in RV's and camper vans and right then I decided that now is the time to buy my van. I was about 10 years from my target age of 65 to retire. So, I searched online and found the perfect camper van for me. I lived in south Florida and the camper van was in Arizona. So I had a AAA mechanic check out the vehicle, the mechanic called and said it is in good condition and I took out a loan and flew to Phoenix to buy my camper van. I had never driven anything like this vehicle before, however the excitement was enough to give me courage to drive it across the country to Florida. I stopped in Texas to visit friends on the way back.
Hells Canyon, OR 2011
I am so happy that I didn't wait until I retired to buy my camper van. I used it whenever I could, whether it be a long weekend, or taking a week or 10 day vacation to drive somewhere. I made the monthly payments and before I retired my camper was paid for which lessened my monthly expense. Otherwise, I would have had to make payments in my retirement. 
Lake Okeechobee, FL 2012

Life happens and in 2010 at the age of 60, unexpectedly, I had to have four operations in eight months. It changed my health condition dramatically, In the spring of 2011 after being in pain and still being affected by health complications, I decided to retire at the age of 60 1/2.  A few days after my last day at work I got in my camper van and traveled around the United States for 5 1/2 months, the distance was almost 12,000 miles. What an amazing experience!" - Carol Landau

Carol is still taking trips annually. 
Read about her travels and see photos 
go to Carol's Adventures http://www.carolsadventures.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Since 1992, Passport America is the original 50% Discount Camping Club. With our Discount Travel Card, members of our club receive 50% Discounts on nightly camping fees for campsites at over 1,100+ participating campgrounds, RV Parks and RV Resorts in the US, Canada, and Mexico! Membership is only $44.00 USD for 1 year and pays for itself with just a few nights stay. Please contact us (800) 283-7183 M-F 8AM-5PM CST SAT 9AM-4PM if you have any questions regarding our services. We are always very happy to help you!